Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Potty Training Personality

I started reading Stress Free Potty Training by Sara Au and Peter Stavinoha.  I am a big dorkus who loves to read things like this. I haven't made it through the "is my kid ready for potty training" chapter yet, but I really enjoyed chapter 1.  The first chapter has a set of statements you evaluate to determine the type of personality your kiddo has specifically related to potty training.

The 5 personalities are:

  • Sensory-Oriented Child
  • Internalizing Child
  • Goal-Directed Child
  • Strong-Willed Child
  • Impulsive Child

Wyatt falls into the goal directed child category.  Some of the key points are:

  • Logical, reasonable, and willing to follow directions.  (This may change as we get closer to age 2..ha ha)
  • Curious and seek knowledge
  • Go with the flow but persistent when they set their own goal
  • Enjoy accomplishment
  • Mild to moderate in terms of activity level
  • In new situations, balance between curious and cautious. 
  • Recover quickly from being upset
  • Don't often display tantrums (yes, I realize this may change soon too).  
Based on your child's personality, the book may recommend different ways to achieve potty training success.  This just helped me to see some things about Wyatt.  He is not always high energy.  He is not always getting into things.  I never really thought about that. He plays by himself inside alot allowing me to work at home.  On the other hand, he loves to try new things after watching for a few minutes.  I am a lucky work from home mama right not, but I just have a feeling that this baby girl might not be quite so accommodating. I think this means we will have an easier time potty training....theoretically....according to the book...if the stars align??

I will have to update you once I get through the book and determine when Wyatt is ready to start the potty training, but so far I really like chapter 1 and 2. 

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At July 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Wyatt will be potty trained in a day and will have baby girl potty trained the next day. He's so quick at picking up everything! I'll have to call you for the highlights when Collin is ready.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home