Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Grillades and Grits

Tonight, we are having Grillades and Grits.  Grillades (pronounced GREE-yahds) are made with Round Steak, of Beef or Veal, although you could use pork. This dish like many other greats from New Orleans, comes from meager times, when a piece of meat needed to be stretched to feed a whole family. A Grillade is a square of meat cut from the Round Steak, or whichever piece of meat that you've chosen (definition borrowed from here).

We watched John Besh cook them on PBS this weekend, and I have been thinking about them ever since.  I found the recipe documented on a Rachael Ray page here.  I am using pork, and I did all the chopping last night so I can cook one armed tonight.  For some reason, 5:00 to 6:00 is still a time of cling to mom...even after the time change.  I think he just wants to watch what is going on.

I made this pumpkin butter recipe, and have been trying to think of ways to use it up.  We have had it on toast.  I put it in our oatmeal this morning.  Maybe I should try it in yogurt?  Any ideas for what to use pumpkin butter in.  Also, pumpkin butter contains no butter or dairy. I am confused.  Does apple butter?

Speaking of yogurt, I can't stop eating this peanut butter and jelly yogurt.  I am also going to attempt yogurt covered raisins some time.  We are back in the yogurt making business after taking a break. 

Did everybody vote?  I am sure that I will be in bed before the winner is announced.  East Coast baby!  Time change baby!  How long til my baby adjusts to the time change?  Maybe another week.  

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home