Monday, October 8, 2012

Cooking in the 90s

I have in my possession a 1993 Recipes from First Baptist Church of Richmond, TX cookbook.  Hunter pulled the book down and insisted that I make Sharon's banana pudding for him last week.  I flipped through the book and tagged several recipes that I intend to test and share.  Now early 90s was casserole CITY, and almost half of the recipes call for Oleo (whaaa?) or mayonnaise (ewww) so I will modify frequently.  Regardless, there are some good looking recipes.  First up....I need to use the extra buttermilk I have in my fridge from making Homesick Texan's Tomato Pie with Bacon and Jalapeno (Excellent Recipe).

Angel Biscuits with Cheese by Mildred

1 package of yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
2&1/2 to 3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening or oleo (I plan to use butter)
3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup buttermilk with 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
parmesan cheese

1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add a teaspoon of sugar.
2. Mix the remaining dry ingredients and cut in the shortening.
3. Add the cheddar cheese, buttermilk, and yeast mixture and blend. If too soft to roll, add a little more dough.
4. The dough is now ready to roll and cut into biscuits. Let rise a little more while resting on baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
**Dough can be kept in covered container in the refrigerator for several days


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home