Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Heart Monitor Training - Why Am I Trying It

Ready to hear my latest and greatest workout plan? The one I am REALLY going to stick to?  I plan to follow the 12 week running program from Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot

I have a very high exercise heart rate.  I have (or used to have) a pretty good resting heart rate.  I have been to a cardiologist to make sure I don't have anything wrong with my heart.  There really isn't an explanation.  The cardiologist offered up the fact that women tend to have lower iron levels which causes a person to dehydrate faster.  I am usually borderline anemic and can't give blood.  He said that I shouldn't really be concerned about it as long as I feel ok while I am exercising.  

To give you an idea of where I am at when I exercise, my average heart rate for a full marathon is 176.  For my half marathon PR, my average heart rate was 172 and this was in cold weather.  My heart rate goes up to 140+ almost immediately when I start my runs.  This was a real bummer when I was pregnant.  My Dr. told me to keep my heart rate under 140 since the uterus is not a "primary organ" and the body will focus on supplying the brain and heart when put under stress.  No running for me!

The high heart rate never really bothered me except for the fact that I knew I could run sooo much faster if I could keep my heart rate under control.  Morning runs in the cold were my friend.  I started this training plan about two times and never stuck with it in the past because I would always sign up for a race and I would want to go fast NOW, not faster in 3 months.  This time I have nothing to lose and I am not fast to begin with.

For anyone who cares, I will walk you through some of the concepts and measurements needed to follow this plan over the next few weeks. Let's see how I do!


Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Beth said...

I am interested to hear how this works!

 
At September 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Blogger TakeMeThereTotes said...

Go Janet Go! See Janet run! Meep! Meep! Good to see you back in the racing mode.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home