Friday, September 13, 2013

My Toddler Tech Tip - Lock Your iPhone/iPad in an Application

We survived our doctor appointments yesterday.  Wyatt with one shot and me with one test. He weighs 24 lbs and they are happy with his growth because he is growing at a faster rate.  I weigh a gazillion pounds, but I appreciate how the nurse always starts with the scale at the lower 50 lb block and then acts surprised when she has to move it up to the next one.

So here is my recently discovered tech tip.  I like to share my iPhone with Wyatt when we are desperate....airplane rides, doctor appointments, etc.  He always manages to hit the home button and get out of whatever application we are in (Netflix).  You can turn on some accessibility settings to prevent this.  Brilliant! This can also be done on an iPad.

  1. Go to settings
  2. Go to General -> Accessibility
  3. Under Learning, turn Guided Access On
  4. Set up a password
  5. Enjoy not having to "fix" the device every 3 minutes

To activate the lock, open the app you want them to stay in and then triple click the home button and click Start.  To deactivate, you do the same but enter your password and then click End.

I can't remember which site I came across that told me how to do this but it is fabulous.  I always feel like a techie fail when I don't know about something that the rest of the world probably already knows!  

Speaking of iPhones, my home button is worn out and chooses to respond only sometimes.  Perhaps time for a new one?




2 Comments:

At September 13, 2013 at 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The locking is amazing isn't it? My entire family has had to do it because of baby techie.

PS You DO need one. One that can take a million fast pics of blurry boy and gorgeous girl.

 
At September 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Janet said...

Yea! Anything for the better camera. And I wouldn't be surprised if Collin's lightening fast fingers can defeat the lock. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home