Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Yogurt Lowdown

Remember, I am no Martha Stewart or even a good ol' hippie, but I have been making my own yogurt following these steps on a regular basis and it is so good. 

Hunter and I have been in a constant battle about whether to make regular or greek style yogurt.  Did you know that greek yogurt is just yogurt that has had the whey drained out of it?  This may be an over simplified definition and there are probably some other minor technical differences, but that is basically it.  Whey is a yellow liquid that is a by product of the yogurt or cheese making process.  It looks like lemonade when you capture it all in a big jar.  Supposedly it tastes very bitter but is full of protein, calcium, and other good for you stuff.  I won't be taking a swig any time soon. 

Well, Hunter wants to keep it all (avoiding wastefulness) but I want my yogurt thicker.  Hunter found a recipe that mixes in Tapioca Starch/Flour to help thicken the yogurt up and it did help, but not enough.

The yogurt battle rages on.  Last time we made two batches.  One regular and one greek. I guess this means we are only half wasteful?  We have found several sites that list uses for excess whey, but no winners in my book..yet.

My next yogurt adventure will be Lime Greek Yogurt.


Lime Greek Yogurt
Ingredients
2c plain Greek yogurt
zest and juice of 1 lime
1-3 Tbsp honey
Mix it up and eat it!

This yogurt flavor is inspired by Emily @ One Lovely Life so be a doll and check out her site.   She has many excellent salad recipes. 

 


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At August 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM , Blogger TakeMeThereTotes said...

Dave would like the lime yogurt.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home