Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Some Movies and Books

Need some time wasters?  You must if you read this blog frequently (wink wink). 

On the toob:
I am REALLY late to the PBS Masterpiece Theatre TV show Downton Abbey but I dig it.  You can find it on Netflix Instant Play.  Hunter opted not to watch this so I make it through about 1 show a week.  They are on season 3 I believe.

The movie 50/50 was surprisingly good. A 27 year old is diagnosed with cancer and it follows him and his people through the trials.  Inspired by a true story. 

I like to ponder about how I would react in a life threatening situation so of course I enjoyed 127 Hours, based on a true story of a guy who gets stuck under a rock while on a hiking / canyoning trip and he is all by his lonesome. 

In a book:
Read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford.  I gave this one 5 outta 5 stars.  There is love, war, and mistreatment of the Japanese in Seattle.  I didn't know that happened in the US.  We sent American citizens of Japanese heritage to war camps. There is a bit of Romeo and Juliet feel when a Chinese boy befriends a Japanese girl. 

Another 5 outta 5 star book, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  What is my obsession with war?  This book is set in Germany in WWII and documents a family that adopts a child (the book thief) and harbors a Jew.  Amazing book.  I really loved it. 

I also got on a non fiction kick.  I already mentioned Dominique Moceanu's Off Balance Memoir.  I also started Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.  I have not read very far into this one yet, but again, what is my deal with all of this war reading?

What else should I be watching and reading?  Hook a sistah up. 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home