Saturday, September 24, 2016

A Positive Post

Who wants to know what has been going on around here?? (me, me, I do, I do). 

First off, can we get a huge hallelujah, praise God!  The elderly patient I am caring for has made huge steps.  There is walking (with a walker).  There is voluntarily asking to get up and be a part of the home (dinners, staying in the kitchen, not hiding in front of Fox News in the bedroom, maybe even laughing or making an occasional joke).  There are steps towards getting into wheelchair on own.  The last stool sample tested negative for c. diff.  And our biggest progress, the catheter, that has been in for 6 months, is out.  I really could not have ever planned or even hoped that things would be going this well so obviously, this is not because of me but because of HE.  The feeding tube may be coming out soon and at that point, he could be tube free?  I just can't even imagine.  The care check list is going to be toned down to give medicine, provide insulin, and eat.  I am not sure I am expressing this clearly enough but seriously this is AMAZING progress for 1.5 months.

Also, selfishly, my life feels good.  I am sleeping all night.  I am back to running and weight lifting.  I am currently going through the "getting back into shape" starvation phase.  Every time I get back into working out, I get back into EATING as a full time job.  I can leave the house and things will be fine.  I am so happy.  Aside from the fact that Hunter is gone 12 hours a day Monday through Friday.  Why can't jobs be closer, and companies stick to a true eight hours, or reward employees with early Fridays.

The kids made some progress in soccer today.  For Kate, she actually stepped onto the field and kicked the ball around.  Wyatt got some kicks too.  He is still lacking in confidence which means he has a tough time being a go getter and playing aggressively.  Watching kids play soccer is such an interesting science personality experiment.  The crying.  The smiles.  The excitement.  The pride.  The annoying parents.  The bribery.  The hitting.  The heat.   Please, please let the heat go away.  2-3 year olds should not be playing in 90 degree weather.  Ha ha.  The 4 and 5 year olds have a tough time too.  The kids say can I please go get a drink of water and I slap them on the back and say "no you need to be tough for 2 more minutes" and they do. 

Speaking of being tough, I am training my nephew for his first 5K.  I decided to sign Wyatt up too.  We are doing a kids 5K training plan.  3 times a week for 4 more weeks and then we have the big race.  Kate is going to be so ticked she isnt in the race.  The finishers medal is a Bat medal so really it doesn't get much better than this for his first 5K.  I hope he enjoys it.  I am surprised at how well these guys are doing.  Today we did  6 times of run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute and they mostly did it.  I do lots of explaining about digging deep and using your brain to tell your body that they aren't tired.  We also do lots of guess what animal I am thinking of.   Some I Spy too.  Running when tired is such a mental game.  I can't wait to see these boys fly when its cooler and running is a joy.  I hope its a joy.  It should be a joy.  We human beans are meant to be runners (when we are young and the joints work at least).  I hope this is a big confidence booster and persistence teacher for the nephew.  Lots of hope.  I am going to try for 7 or maybe 8 miles tomorrow for myself.  The miles are slowly going up and the pace is slowly getting faster.  Who knew that pneumonia would totally knock me back.  Why does it take a month to lose what the body achieved in a year!??!  Not fair.  I am signed up for a 10 mile race in a few weeks so I can't back off.  Last weekend was the first time I didn't have to walk on my long run day and my pace wasn't discouraging me. 

So there it is.  One positive post.  Tune in next week for the usual dose of negativity and sarcasm. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home