Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chicken Salad

I am not a big mayo fan.  At least plain mayo.  Yuck.  It looks disgrossting.  Mayo is a necessary for things like potato salad and chicken salad and I do really like those.  The chipotle mayo for dipping chips or fries in is pretty tasty too.

When I was in Georgia, my cousin Carol prepared a standard chicken salad....chicken, celery, mayo, etc but then she put it in the oven and warmed it up.  And then she melted some cheddar cheese and crunched up some wavy Lays chips and that made it fabulous.  Can't believe I have never thought to do that.  Serve with more chips of course!

My favorite girly girl chicken salad came from my Aunt Helen.

2 Tablespoons oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 Tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon salt
4 boneless skinned chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
1.5 cups mandarin orange slices (16 oz can drained)
1.5 cups pineapple chunks (16 oz can drained)
1.5 cups green grapes, halved
1.5 cups diced celery
2. cups cooked rice
1 cup slivered almonds
1.5 cups mayonaise

Combine first 4 ingredients and toss with chicken. Combine remaining ingredients and toss well.  Refrigerate before serving. Serve on lettuce with crackers.

What is your favorite jiggly white lardy-lookin mayo based recipe? 

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At April 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM , Blogger TakeMeThereTotes said...

Those southern girls can put cheese and chips on any thing and it would be good. Must try both.

 
At April 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to try recipe. Haven't had a salad with rice in it. Interesting. Hate it that I had tacos on the day ya'll had the warm chix salad. I'm getting hungry just typing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home