Monday, November 19, 2012

Our Thanksgiving Plans

This will be our first Thanksgiving away from our family that we actually try to celebrate Thanksgiving.   Wowsa!  Last year, we drove to San Diego and ended up eating at Jack in the Box (only place that was open that would be able to handle a grumpy 3 month old).   Depressing!

We are going to pair up with the Gilliam Family and try to pull of our own feast.   The Gilliam's are taking care of dessert and the turkey. We are doing the sides.  Here is hoping we can have a low stress and delicious meal!

For right now, these are the sides I am planning on.  This might change 10 times before the actual day.

Dressing
We always called it dressing.  Stuffing.  Whatever.  My family's side does half cornbread/half regular bread.  Hunter's family does all cornbread I believe.  I am going to try the half and half following PW's recipe as a guide, but changing out the seasonings.

Potatoes
My family never did mashed potatoes...always sweet potatoes.  I am going to try and fill up a casserole dish with one side candied sweet potatoes and one side buttery mashed potatoes.  Hope it is not a flop!  The blend in the middle might be the bestest.

Green Beans
Hunter doesn't like the green bean casserole.  Something about the mushrooms.  Going with plain green beans.  I will decide the day of how to cook them.  In a pot with bacon?  On a roasting pan with shallots?  In a skillet with butter and slivered almonds??

Rolls
Whatever the store has.  I have no winning roll recipe.  I should try to make my own, but I have bad luck with bread.  If I get an amazing burst of motivation, I will make some dough in the bread maker and turn it into rolls.

Cranberry Jello (Karen's Recipe) - I love this stuff!
1 lg raspberry jello
1 lg can crushed pineapple drained
1 lg can whole cranberry sauce
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Use drained juice from pineapple and add water to make 1.5 cups juice. Bring juice to a boil and pour over jello. Add pineapple, cran sauce, and pecans.  Refrigerate!

Cranberry Sangria
I taste tested this recipe and I really like it!

What is left?  Pickles and olives? Cheese ball? That is what we always eat as an appetizer.  We call that fine dining.  Send me your ideas!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At November 22, 2012 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything was so DELICIOUS! Thanks again for coming and cooking! One more reason why you can't move - we have to do this again next year. :) Wyatt already has his outfit...

 
At November 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Janet said...

I agree. Thanks for hosting us! I made sure to get the sweet potatoes out of the outfit so he can wear it again next year. He he. You are the best!

 
At November 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

We spent Thanksgiving away from family to this year, so I decided we would do a staycation. We booked a reservation in Colonial Williamsburg in one of the old Taverns there. People dress in traditional clothes of that time period, so we thought it would be fun. Well, it was fun but the food was aweful!!! It had been sitting under heat lamps all day and the server was not very friendly. I was a little disapointed. But we made up for it with a trip to Busch Gardens the next day for Christmas Town. Glad you had a successful feast away from home!!

 
At November 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Janet said...

Too bad they couldn't get the food and service right! Sounds like a fun trip.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home