Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cabbage Soup Recipe

How rude of all of the food bloggers I follow to post their cabbage soup recipe before I post mine.  Check out SkinnyTaste.  I actually had to create my own recipe because none of the ones I found reeled me in.  I wanted a beefy, tomatoey recipe that reminds me of the cabbage soup my mom made.  I think hers was inspired by the big red Betty Crocker cookbook.  So here it is.  You can thank me for the unpleasant cabbage smell in your house later.  And I don't have fancy pics because I am not a food blogger.  I am just a blogger who likes food. Big diff.

 Janet's Cabbage Soup with Corned Beef

1 T butter, 1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced

saute on medium high until onions are softened. i left the carrots a little hard.

1 T tomato paste
some salt and pepper

spread around to get everything evenly distributed

2 quarts beef broth (I use beef bouillon because i never have beef broth)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf

turn up heat to high so the liquid can boil, then reduce to low to simmer

add 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
1 cup diced corned beef or whatever was leftover from your sammys from the day before

simmer until Hunter comes home from work (approximately 1 hour), i covered mine while simmering

salt and pepper to taste

Serve with biscuits or a more creative side.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At March 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM , Blogger jamison said...

For Janet to create her owe recipe rather than follow one exactly is a huge accomplishment!

 
At March 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Janet said...

That is fo' real!

 
At March 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM , Blogger TakeMeThereTotes said...

I havent made Cabbage Soup since the Cabbage Soup Diet craze. I happen to have about 30 basketball size cabbages and oodles of carrots in the garden so I had to make Janet's Cabbage Soup. I added potatoes and spinach. I used chicken broth but added a package of onion soup mix to give it the beefy flavor. I used pastrami because I had some and we topped ours off with mozzerella cheese. Mine was not so skinny. If you top off two bowls of soup with Ghirdelli Brownies and Blue Bell, you have a great St Patrick's Day dinner! Thanks Janet!

 
At March 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Janet said...

30 basketball sized cabbages? That is worth a picture! Cheese is a very nice touch. Maybe some toasted bread like french onion style..yum yum!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home