Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My Buddy Hal

I am not really sure how I got into running.  I have always been into sports and fitness, but I remember running cross country in high school and thinking that the 2 mile run was insanely long.  Bwah!  I managed a few 5Ks in college and as an adult with a real job.  I even did a 10K.  Then I decided I wanted to be like the other cool people and run eva so fa' so I trained for the full 26.2 miles.  Crazy right?  Lets just skip all the mileage in between and start with the big one.  Even crazier, Hunter did it with me.  I thought I would school Hunter but he proved to be a good runner, keeping up with me on an 8 mile run without training.  Ahh...to be a man.  Ahh...to have a spouse to do these activities with you.  Lucky me!

Anyways, all of this to say, it is amazing what your body can do and I challenge you to sign up for a race no matter where you are in your life.  I know this sounds cliche, but you will feel good.  You can increase the distance you run/walk significantly every week.  So even if you start at 0 miles, you can be up to 3 miles in a month or two if you "train" 3 to 4 times a week.  Running/walking may not sound fun to you if you have never done it before but it is an amazing mind clearing, fat burning, and endorphin pumping activity.  If you like to create to do lists and check things off, you will get an even bigger thrill.

My buddy Hal, who doesn't know I exist, has some great free training plans.  Pick one out, print out the schedule, and check off the items when you do them.  A race is key to keeping you committed.  Many races are kid friendly!  Toddler races, strollers allowed, walk with your dog, free food and activities after.  Some of your money usually goes to a charity.  You get another t-shirt you don't need.  It's win-win! Let me know what races you sign up for.  There are several sites that list the races in your area by date.

Now for some motivation stolen from Pinterest.

  • No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone sitting on the couch.
  • Someone who is busier than you is running right now.




Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home