Thursday, May 24, 2012

PWs Spaghetti and Meatballs

I needed to make a meal for a new mom yesterday and decided on Pioneer Woman's Spaghetti and Meatballs.  This recipe makes a boatload and is purty tasty. 

Here is how the day went down.  You ready?  Wake up. Have breakfast.  I had a peanut butter banana sandwich and yogurt.  Wyatt had applesauce and oatmeal.  Go to the grocery store and buy ingredients.  Ditzy lady asks if Wyatt is having lasagna for dinner.  Funny, I didn't buy lasagna noodles, I bought spaghetti and Wyatt is obviously too young to chow down on lasagna!  Go home, put Wyatt down for first nap.  Prepare meatballs.  Easy enough...I have made this recipe several times before.  These were definitely my best looking meatballs.  PW recommends putting the meatballs in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before frying.  This time I left the ones I had not cooked yet in the freezer since you have to cook in batches and they all stayed nice and round!  I hate when my meatballs turn into ground beef clumps.  I will freeze all meatballs from this point forward in life.  Lesson learned!  Wyatt wakes up early from nap (boo!).   At this point the meatballs have been browned and are draining on the plate. 

Are you still with me?  It's lunch time now.  Wyatt is having pureed broccoli and I am having leftover chicken and sun dried tomato pasta.  After lunch, I start making the sauce.  Onions and garlic browned, now time to pour in the tomatoes.  Where are the tomatoes?  Not in the truck. Not in the house. Not in the diaper bag.  The ditzy lady didn't give them to me.  Wyatt and I go back to the grocery store and head to customer service where they hand me the bag of tomatoes that ditzy lady did not give to me at checkout.  Grrrr.  Go home.  Finish sauce.  Allow meatballs to simmer in sauce.  Throw in fridge to finish up later. 

Still reading? It is time for second nap.  We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Panda Bear Panda Bear, and a few of Wyatt's other fave books.  Zzzzzz.  I churn through John Grisham's The Litigators because my eBook checkout ends soon.  Finished it...good book.  I liked it more than the reviews other people gave.  Wyatt wakes up from the nap and we head to a mom meetup at one of the local parks.  We swing, we look at the ocean, we hover in the shade, we talk to other adults, and then we head home.

Last part of day.  Stay with me.  I put the meatballs and sauce back on the stove to warm up.  I boil water for the noodles.  Wyatt organizes the tupperware cabinet.  I strap Wyatt into a stroller to pour boiling noodle water out.  He screams bloody murder and is in a foul mood for the next hour because of the stroller tie down.  Throw the meal in a no-need-to-return container, save 2 portions off for our dinner (makes a boat load) and deliver to new mom.  Success.  Hunter is home.  Hunter feeds Wyatt.  I make a salad.  We have dinner. Hunter does bath time.  I do bed time. I have some wine.  I type this post.  I go to bed. Can you feel the excitement?  Are you jealous of my day?  All in all, pretty good day. 

If you made it this far, here is a cute picture of Wyatt and his friend Collin in the double cart at Sam's club.  They are good buddies.


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At May 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM , Blogger TakeMeThereTotes said...

Thanks for letting me spend the day with you guys!

 
At May 24, 2012 at 10:56 PM , Blogger LauraLowe said...

I'm totally jealous of your day. I only wished I accomplished as much as making homemade meatballs :)

 
At June 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

I am jealous! Much more exciting than being at work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home