Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Meyers Briggs and My Role as a Mom

I love personality tests and reading about the standard traits my personality type has.  I feel that every single test I have ever done describes me perfectly.  I very easily fit into a box.  Today I was wondering how my personality type defines the way I act as a mom and what do ya know, there is tons of stuff on the internet about it.

According to Meyers Briggs, I am an ISTJ (Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging - Introverted Sensing with Extraverted Thinking).  I am the Duty Fulfiller. 

Possible Career Paths for ISTJ:
Business Executives, Administrators and Managers
Accountants and Financial Officers
Police and Detectives
Judges
Lawyers
Medical Doctors / Dentists
Computer Programmers or Systems Analysts - Ding, ding, ding!
Military Leaders

Hmm...stay at home mom not listed.  :)

ISTJs as Parents:
ISTJs are faithful and devoted parents who can be counted on to put forth their very best efforts towards raising their children in positive, comfortable, secure homes, and to promote their growth in such a way that they will become secure adults who know their place in life within our society. Such is the greatest goal of an ISTJ parent toward their child.
Along the path towards this goal, the ISTJ expects that their children honor their traditional familial roles. As parents, they demand respect and authority from their children. They willingly accept their parental role of provider and guardian. Once the ISTJ becomes a parent, it becomes a "given" that they will perform all of the duties associated with parenthood, and they will do so without grudge or burden. However, they expect that their children give them their due respect in return, and will have little patience with disrespectful behavior.
When it comes to giving punishment or discipline, the ISTJ will be able to do so when necessary without too much internal trauma. They see it as their duty to teach their children when they've done wrong, and so will administer the punishment in the name of the greater cause of doing their duty towards their children. Not to imply that the ISTJ will enjoy disciplining their children, they simply will put their duties before their personal feelings.
The ISTJ is likely to have a problem giving a lot of positive affirmation and support to their children. Having very high expectations for their own behavior and the behavior of others, the ISTJ often forgets to give praise when praise is due. All children need positive support as they find their place in the world, and this is especially true for children with the Feeling preference, who benefit tremendously from positive affirmation, and suffer (sometimes tremendously) in its void. The ISTJ who recognizes sensitivity in their child should take special care to give them positive support and affirmation.
The ISTJ will create a consistent, secure environment for their children, with definite roles and boundaries. Although this may at times create division between the parent and child (especially during rebellious adolescence), it will generally promote the child's growth into a secure adult. ISTJ parents will be remembered and honored by their children for being good people who always tried their best, and for putting the needs of their children above their own.

Summary - I like schedules, and order, and you better follow what I set out or you will drive me crazy over analyzing you and trying to fit you into "your box" :)  I guess I won't have a problem being the disciplinarian which explains why I don't have as much of a problem with "cry it out".   Mental note to be a good positive affirmer when Wyatt is older. 

Famous ISTJs (pretend and real):
Bruce Wayne
Darth Vader
Jason Bourne
Obi Wan Kenobi 
Warren Buffett
Henry Ford
John D. Rockefeller
Andrew Johnson
Condoleeza Rice
George H. W. Bush
George Washington
Hilary Clinton
Helen Hunt
Julia Roberts
Evander Holyfield
Jackie Joyner-Kersee


Would you like to take a free Meyers Briggs test?  Yes?  Go here.  You can read the results for your type and enjoy over analyzing yourself.  Oh, that's not what you like to do?  You must not be an ISTJ!  If you take the test, let me know what you are...so I can analyze how to relate to you...me so funny.


My sources: 
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ISTJ_car.html
http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTJ_rel.html
http://www.toptypes.com/16types/istj-careers/


Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At May 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating! I can't wait to try it out and see how it turns out!

 
At May 14, 2012 at 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating! I can't wait to give it a try and see what it says about me.

 
At May 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Hummm...not gonna lie. Took the test twice different answers both times...not sure which one suits me better once I was an INFJ then the next ENFJ. I will need to read up a bit more when I have time :)

 
At May 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Stacey said...

It says that I am a IIFJ. Not sure what that says about me but some of the description was right on.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home