Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What's Cooking

Well folks.  I recorded 14 hours of work last week.  Not too shabby for a baby surgery week.  I am struggling with my new role.  Basically, I am the person that reminds you to do things you know you should do, but probably don't have time to do.  I am sure I will have lots of new best friends at work.

Our weekend was uneventful but fun as always.  We went to a local meat market and bought a freezer pack of meat for around $90.  They have a great selection that includes grass fed beef.  They also have a keg of beer sitting there to help yourself with.  Not surprisingly the store is always crowded.  We cooked some bone in 1 inch ribeyes on Sunday the America's Test Kitchen Way.  Heat a cast iron skillet to high.  Salt and pepper both sides of your meat. Allow the meat to cook on each side for about 5 minutes.  We then followed a recipe for a pan sauce with red wine, shallots, and fresh thyme.  Very tasty.  Anyone have any recipes they recommend that call for fresh thyme? I have mucho.

Mushrooms, sauteed spinach, ribeyes, and potatoes in the oven

This week I am feeling the urge to cook Cuban.  I made this Chicken Ropa Vieja with a side of oven baked plantains.  Wyatt loved the plantains.  I also plan to make these Cuban Pork Chops.  The plantains were so good and easy I am going to try a sweet recipe next.  And last, a great (non Cuban) tip from you guessed it, Annie.  Use your pita chip crumbs that are not good for dipping as croutons in your salad.  Fabulous! I put them on my salad today for lunch. 

Now, I am off to watch Olympic trials.  I am obsessed and seriously can't wait until the Olympics kick off.  I could watch any sport.  I love the stories.  The disappointments.  The successes.  Yeahhhh! It makes me want to be a better person.



Labels:

1 Comments:

At June 28, 2012 at 11:24 PM , Blogger Elena said...

About the job role... I think your team mates understand the intent... they shouldn't take it personally.

The recipe sounds great. I need to sit down document and share.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home